Carbon Monoxide

carbon monoxide information cochrane, alberta

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless gas that in high concentrations may be deadly. Faulty venting, parts, or plugged appliances can lead to the release of this gas. Your best prevention is proper maintenance of your natural gas appliances, and installation of Carbon Monoxide detectors on all levels.

Warning Signs

  • You may notice the air to be stale or stuffy, and moisture build-up on windows and walls.
  • Natural gas flames are blue. A yellow flame may indicate a problem.

Common Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Headache and dizziness
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Watery and burning eyes
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Loss of muscle control

What to Do

  • Get outside to fresh air.
  • If anyone appears ill, call 911 for medical help.
  • Call your natural gas distributor. Cochrane Lake Gas Co-op 403-932-2707 (24 Hr. Emergency Line)

Prevent Carbon Monoxide

Properly maintain all natural gas burning appliances. Have them checked by a qualified technician according to manufacturer specifications.

  • Check furnace filters monthly and replace if necessary.
  • Keep laundry or ventilation vents and chimneys clear of debris, snow or ice
  • Remove clutter near gas burning appliances, and allow adequate air supply.
  • Do not idle vehicles in garages, even with the overhead door open
  • Carbon Monoxide detectors installed on all levels and properly maintained. Write their expiry date on the detector in marker. Replace batteries annually.

If you have carbon monoxide or gas odour concerns then call 403-932-2707 and follow the prompts for our 24/7 on-call service person.